Drywall anchors, also known as wall anchors, are inserts that are combined with a screw and placed into the walls. They are commonly used in DIY projects for home improvements. Drywall anchors are mainly used in situations where one needs to hang paintings, decorations, and other objects on the wall for utmost grip.
Drywall anchors or wall anchors come in various types adapted to assist in different situations requiring additional support. Furthermore, they are rather cheap and easy to use. In fact, all you require to install the wall anchors are a drill, a screwdriver, and maybe a hammer.
If you are a DIY enthusiast and may have done a number of home projects such as designing a coffee station or even making a bookshelf, adding drywall anchors to your toolbox, will come in handy.
Without further ado, see below the best drywall anchors.
Best Affordable Drywall Anchors Review – 2021
Self-Drilling Drywall Plastic Anchors with Screws Kit
|Check On Amazon|
Best Quality Plastic Self Drilling Drywall Anchors with Screws Kit
|Check On Amazon|
Plastic Drywall Wall Anchors Screw Assortment Kit 300 Pieces
|Check On Amazon|
Qualihome Drywall and Hollow-Wall Anchor Assortment Kit, Anchors, Screws, Wall Anchor Hooks, and Hollow-Door Toggle Anchor
|Check On Amazon|
ITW Brands 25310 50 pack 75lb Drywall Anchor
|Check On Amazon|
1. Self-Drilling Drywall Plastic Anchors with Screws Kit
Are you looking for drywall anchors that will serve you now and for many years to come? Look no further; Toofix Self-Drilling Plastic Anchors are not only durable but also easy to use. They are designed in a simplified manner to eliminate the necessity for drilling holes.
Therefore, decreasing the annoying white dust. These drywall plastic anchors feature a deep thread design that provides strong engagement. They are only 3/8’’ and can really hold on to weight.
These plastic anchors are just wonderful. They really do a great job and can go through a gaping hole left by their ineffective counterparts. With Toofix Self drilling Anchors, you will only need a Philips screwdriver, and your job will be done.
- Convenient and easy to use
- Easy to remove
- Economical than their counterparts
- Very sturdy
- Great Value for money
- It sits flush on the drywall
- Perfect for DIY projects
- May crack inside an old drywall
- Do not split behind the wall
- Digs large holes
2. Best Quality Plastic Self Drilling Drywall Anchors with Screws Kit
These drywall anchors are meticulously built from a quality plastic material. The durable material guarantees your service for years to come. You will love the ribbed feature that allows these anchors to not only remain stable on drywall but also penetrate easily into very thick walls and doors.
Most of all, you will love the fact that there won’t be any hole drilling required. This means that you can use them straight out of the box. When inserted perfectly, they are easier to use than normal anchors.
- Made from durable material
- Very easy to use
- The pack contains a matching set of screws
- Great for thick drywalls
- Can hold the weight of up to 100lbs
- A bit pricey
- A bit hard to drill on very thick walls
- The plastic anchor might snap off easily
3. Plastic Drywall Wall Anchors Screw Assortment Kit 300 Pieces
Finding great drywall anchors can be challenging! But that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case. Leanking assorted plastic drywall anchors are perfect for small DIY projects. Amazingly, they come in a pack of 300 pieces. These anchors are strong enough and can hold their weight; they can hang paintings, pictures, mirrors, blinds, and other wall decorations. Moreover, they leave a neat, clean appearance on drywall.
Leanking assorted drywall anchors come with stainless steel screws, which enable them to last long. They go smoothly on a wall without breaking. Furthermore, they come in unique colors to suit your needs.
- High quality
- Anchor tips hold the screw firmly
- They can hold a considerable amount of weight
- Easy to use
- Comes in various sizes
- The screws are very sturdy
- Features a flexible plastic
- Stainless-steel screws
- Great for décor related DIY projects
- They come in a flimsy case
- Screws may fall out of the anchor
- Anchors may not expand when the screw is driven in
4. Qualihome Drywall and Hollow-Wall Anchor Assortment Kit, Anchors, Screws, Wall Anchor Hooks, and Hollow-Door Toggle Anchor
Qualihome hollow-wall anchors are drywall anchors that every home must have. These drywall anchors are the finest and are designed with ribs that help prevent damage during installation. Additionally, the hollow-door anchor provides a sturdy hold between the panels and the hollow-core doors.
The interesting part about these drywall anchors is that they come in multifarious sizes. The kit contains 4 different types of screws as well as 6 different types of anchors. Qualihome Hollow-wall anchors are perfect for light to medium reinforcement in drywall and masonry. The icing on the cake is the amazing package this drywall anchors come in.
- Comes in interesting colors and a convenient package
- Very easy to install
- Premium quality
- Sturdy and functional
- The pack contains varieties of anchors to choose from
- The kit also contains screws.
- Can hold up a considerable amount of weight
- Does not require pre-drilling
- Anchors may break easily if not installed properly.
- Matching the screws to their relevant anchors may be tedious.
- Some packages may miss pusher pins, especially for the white anchors.
- Not ideal for plaster walls
5. ITW Brands 25310 50 pack 75lb Drywall Anchor
These highly versatile ITW Brands 25310 drywall anchors are the perfect choice for a broad range of walls, whether home or office. These anchors are strong and sturdy and are capable of hanging objects weighing up to 75lb. i.e., artwork, mirror, curtain rods, TV gadgets, or shelves.
ITW Brands 25310 Drywall Anchor requires no pre-drilling; all you need to do is screw in. The screw is 1 ¼-inches long and features a twist-and-lock design. This means that it is easy to install; you can either use a hammer or a Philips screwdriver. The pack contains 50 pieces.
- Premium quality
- Sturdy and stable
- Ideal for various mounting applications
- Easy to install
- Requires no pre-drilling
- Can accommodate the weight of up to 75lbs
- The pack includes anchors and screws.
- Easy to remove and re-use
- You can buy the same product in metal.
- Can break on very thick wall
- Removing the anchors from the wall might be difficult.
- Requires pre-drilling
Choosing the Best Drywall Anchors- Easy to Install, Use and Remove – the Ultimate Buying Guide
As a homeowner, you know that a beautiful house is not short of paintings and decorations. That’s why drywall anchors are a must-have. Substandard drywall anchors will not only mess with your wall but also put your decorations at risk.
Choosing the best drywall anchors depends on your precedence. There are various factors you need to consider before choosing drywall anchors that suit you.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the factors to consider before choosing the best drywall anchors. Read on;
How heavy is the item you want to hang on your drywall?
First, you need to factor in the weight of the item you would like to hang. The weight of the object will greatly influence the type of anchor you need. For example, if you hang a light wall decoration, a plastic anchor may be enough to hold it perfectly. However, if you are hanging a heavy object, the best option will be a heavy-duty threaded drywall fastener.
How will you install drywall anchors?
If you are a DIY enthusiast and are handy with tools, installing drywall anchors is as easy as ABC. But if you are not very good with tools, this kind of project will leave you scratching your head since you do not want to dent your walls. In fact, you may need to have an excellent screwdriver and a hammer. Most drywall anchors discussed in this review do not require pre-drilling, which is perfect.
If your drywall anchors need prior drilling;
- Start by making your ideal hanging point with a pencil.
- Using your tool (could be a nail set, drill, or simply a nail and a hammer tap a pilot hole.
- The hole size should be the same as the anchor size.
- Place the anchor and drive it in firmly till it is flush with the wall.
How do you use drywall anchors?
Just as the name suggests, drywall anchors act as boat anchors. Before investing in a pack of drywall anchors, you need to know how to use them. Drywall fasteners will enable you to hang decorations, mirrors, and shelves firmly on a wall without messing up the wall in the process.
Ideal wall anchors are functional on home improvement projects. They are useful in hanging objects around the house and giving you peace of mind as they provide additional safety from the hanging objects.
What is the size of the screw?
Suppose you need to bolt an anchor to a wall; factor in the size of the hole. A good drywall anchor should not leave a noticeable hole in your wall. A small strong screwdriver will work well even on a larger hole as long as you add a fender washer. Nonetheless, a large screw will not go through a small hole, no matter how much you force it. In this case, you will need to get the drill out.
In case you are unhappy with your drywall anchors, you can easily take them out and camouflage them with your ideals one’s.
Read about these simple methods;
- Grab the head of the anchor with pliers and gently wiggle in a back and forth motion until it comes out
- Choose the screwdriver that fits the mouth of the anchor. Position the screwdriver turning it in a counterclockwise motion till you remove it out.
- Using protective goggles, place a 1-inch wheel on a drill and precisely cut off the drywall anchor.
- If your drywall is weak and damaged, the easiest option is to recess the wall anchor rather than cut it off. Use a screwdriver and a hammer to tap the anchor and sink it inside the wall lightly.
Do different types of drywall anchors perform the same function?
No! there are various types of anchors in the market, but they do not perform the same function. Some can hold a lot of weight, and others are easy to install.
Below are the various types;
- Expansion Anchors- great for concrete well, but very suitable for drywalls. Generally, their strength is determined by the strength of the material they are used on.
- Hollow-wall Anchors- perfect for hollow and drywalls. Most of these anchors have strength ratings indicated in their package.
- Threaded Drywall Anchors- mostly feature nylon and metal material and can hold weight up to 25 pounds.
- Plastic Expansion Anchors- made of plastic. They can manage the weight of up to 15 pounds.
- Winged Plastic Anchors- can manage the weight of up to 35 pounds safely.
- Molly Bolts- these are easy to install and can manage up to 50-pounds weight.
- Toggle Bolts- these are by far the strongest wall anchors. They can manage 50-pounds and above. Furthermore, they are easy to install.
What is your level of expertise?
Different drywall anchors require a different installation process. If you are not experienced in the installation, you will require user-friendly anchors that do not require much time to install.
Consider the cost
Cost is an important consideration when buying drywall anchors. Plastic wall anchors are cheaper than those made of metal, especially toggles. Those fasteners that come in sets are also more expensive, depending on the kit’s varieties. While it’s good to look at the best deals, it is also important to consider the quality.
Hanging wall decorations around your house should be fun and not stressful. However, without the correct anchors, you will, for sure, have serious problems. Luckily, this article has highlighted the 5 best drywall anchors in the market today. Selecting the ideal wall anchors should be entirely based on your needs.
To wrap it up, keep in mind the above considerations.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How to put in drywall anchors
- Select your ideal drywall anchor.
- Twist the drywall anchor into the wall using adequate pressure.
- Turn the wall anchor in till it sits flush on the wall.
- Hang your object.
- How do drywall anchors work?
Drywall anchors go between the screw and the drywall; it bites into the drywall constructively that a screw would. The screw is then placed into the anchor holding it firmly into place. Wall anchors are effective even and provide an overall holding strength.
- How much weight can drywall anchors hold?
The strongest drywall anchors are the Toggles. Surprisingly a 1/8 toggle anchor can hold a weight of up to 30 pounds on a ½ -inch drywall. On top of that, a 3/8- inch toggle can safely manage a 50-pound weight.
- How to install drywall anchors without a drill?
Take a regular screwdriver, place it where you want to install the drywall anchor. Push it in back and forth to make a pre-drilled hole into the drywall. Do not apply too much pressure as you may destroy your wall or even bend the screwdriver. Take the drywall anchor, place it on top of the screwdriver, put it into the hole, and begin to tighten it. Do it until it is flush with the drywall. Take the screw and place it into the center and tighten with your fingers until it sits firmly. Take a Philips screwdriver and tighten it in until it is ¼-inch out from the wall.
Things to know;
- If an item is too heavy, it can destroy your wall before the anchor.
- If drilling is required, avoid drilling next to an outlet or a plug.